Monday, April 04, 2005

Gratitude is the Mother of Joy

Joy is prayer – prayer is strength – Joy is love – Joy is a net of love by which you can catch souls. She gives most who gives with Joy.
– Mother Theresa

For many of us, there hasn’t been a lot of joy, that opening and swelling of the heart, in our life. Growing up we learn to plan and to work hard. Accomplishments are good because they led to somewhere we were planning to go…high school, college, a good job, a relationship. But they weren’t to be relished and celebrated in and of themselves.

Like so many, I was busy climbing the ladder of success, that I took no time to enjoy the journey. I was too busy getting on to the next challenge. I realize now that as soon as I attained each goal, my eyes were on the next “prize”…like a machine mindlessly churning out accomplishments and not stopping to relish the journey along the way.

It took a life-threatening illness to make me see the “joylessness” of my existence and focus my attention on all the wonderful things that were happening in my day-to-day life. When I stopped climbing mindlessly to some undetermined peak of accomplishment, without my even trying…Joy crept in!

This is to encourage you to be willing to let go of struggle and be eager to learn through joy. Think of all that you have accomplished today and celebrate each feat, no matter how small.

No comments: