Tuesday, October 11, 2005

Knowing We Can

I grew up with a friend who was born with one arm missing from the elbow down. Before every adventure we were planning, I would ask her, "Do you think you'll be able to do this?" Her answer was almost always a resounding, "If you can do it, I can too". And she did.

Most of our limitations are self-imposed. When we know we can do or be something, we generally can. But knowing is not the same as wishful thinking. Wishful thinking is passive; knowing includes having the courage to find our way over, around obstacles we find blocking our path.

"I can't" is one of the most debilitating beliefs we hold. Imagine that something we want badly is on a raft one hundred yards from shore and all we need to do is swim out and claim it. On the sand are swim-fins and a ten-pound bowling ball attached to an ankle chain. We can choose either of these to help us get to the raft. No contest: the fins. But many of us choose the bowling ball and chain of "I can't" and wonder why we struggle and sink on the way to getting what we want.

What we think is totally within our control. It is wise for us to choose swim-fin thoughts to help glide us toward our goals. We can either sink with "I can't" or swim with "I can".

No comments: