Monday, July 01, 2013

Indispensable


“It isn’t hard to be good from time to time. What’s tough is being good every day.”

- Willie Mays

“You do not merely want to be considered just the best of the best. You want to be considered the only one who does what you do.”
- Jerry Garcia

This is the first time I have ever given 2 quotes in the Monday Morning Motivator and they couldn’t have come from two people that are more different than these two men. However when I read the 2 quotes, which were given to me by a long time MMM subscriber who I recently had the pleasure to meet, the two seemed to go hand in hand.

When I read Jerry Garcia’s quote, I think . Are you indispensable in your career or are you easily replaced? What skills have you developed that make you unique? What approach do you take in your career every day, that makes you different than others? Think about it my friends.

On the other hand, Willie Mays’ quote emphasizes the importance of consistency in your career. In my opinion, consistency is what makes people indispensible. Being consistently good, being consistently creative, and being consistently responsive.

Take some time this summer to think about whether or not you are indispensible, and if not, how you can become indispensable. I promise you, it’s worth your time.

I bet you didn’t think Willie Mays and Jerry Garcia together would help you start your Monday morning off in the right way, did you?

Have a great week!

No comments: