Monday, June 03, 2013

Doing the things you fear

“The key to success is for you to make a habit throughout your life of doing the things you fear.”  - Vincent Van Gogh

Here is a quote that can dramatically impact your career and life if you do as Van Gogh recommends. Imagine that you did one thing each day (or each week for that matter) that you were afraid of doing. How would that change your life?

I know this for a fact from my own experience, as taking this approach created opportunities for me that I never thought were possible. Using this methodology I became a professional speaker, wrote a book, and started a mastermind community for engineers that people said would never succeed.

These were all things I feared. Why? They were uncomfortable to me. I had never done them before. Speaking in front of thousands of people? An accountant writing a self-help book? An online community where accountants develop close friends who help them succeed in their careers and lives?

Impossible, right? Wrong; and the only way that I was able to accomplish these goals was to take action and do what was scary to me at one time. Now, if I don’t get the opportunity to speak for large crowds on a regular basis, I get disappointed. I now post an article each day with ease, and our academy community is thriving. To all of these accomplishments I have fear to thank.

How about taking a new approach, when it comes to fear? Look at fear as an indication of what path to take in your career, rather than an obstacle. Chase fear down and embrace it, rather than run from it.

I hope this message inspires you to embrace and conquer fear in your career. I promise you, the results will be more rewarding than you can imagine.

No comments: