Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Don't Answer the Doorbell

Even though you may want to move forward in your life, you may have one foot on the brakes. In order to be free, we must learn how to let go. Release the hurt. Release the fear. Refuse to entertain your old pain. The energy it takes to hang onto the past is holding you back from a new life. What is it you would let go of today?
--Mary Manin Morrissey

There's something so importunate about a ringing doorbell. It's different from a ringing phone...whoever it is is right there on the other side of the door. I can't tell you how many times I have had a perfectly good meal ruined by a knock on the door. We've all been trained to be polite to guests, even uninvited ones. Often we think nothing of inconveniencing ourselves and other family members, letting our dinner get cold, etc., to speak to someone we may not even want to see!

I've come to regard a ringing doorbell in the same way I do a ringing phone. Unless I have an appointment or am expecting a friend or a delivery , I simply don't answer the door if it is inconvenient. "But isn't it rude not to answer the door?", a friend asked. Certainly we've been brought up to think that way. But I've come to feel that, in fact, it's rude for someone to show up at the door unnannounced and expect me to drop whatever I'm doing just because it happens to be convenient for them.

It does take some hardening of your social graces. But if you're regularly bothered by unnannounced callers at your front door, learning to just let the doorbell ring can make your life a lot easier. Or consider installing a spyhole, so at the very least you know for whom you're opening your door and your time.

No comments: